Garam masala is a mixture of aromatic spices commonly used in Indian cooking. It adds a beautiful flavor to many dishes, and I always keep some on hand. My local stores don’t carry it, however, so I created this recipe. Here are the ingredients you will need:
If you do not have a digital kitchen scale, I highly recommend getting one! (See this post for all of the reasons why I think everyone should use a kitchen scale.)
Weigh (or measure) all the spices into a bowl. Please note that these photos show a double batch. I love Indian food, so I use a lot of garam masala!
Whisk well to make sure all the spices are evenly blended:
That’s it! Your garam masala is ready to use. Store in an airtight container, and give it a stir or shake prior to each use.
Make this blend of aromatic spices that is essential for many Indian recipes.
- 26 g (6 TBS + 2 tsp) Ground Coriander
- 20 g (2 TBS + 2 tsp) Black Pepper
- 20 g (3 TBS) Ground Cumin
- 13 g (2 TBS + 1/2 tsp) Ground Cardamom
- 13 g (1 TBS + 2 tsp) Ground Cinnamon
- 5 g (1 TBS + 1/8 tsp) Ground Ginger
- 2 g (3/4 tsp) Ground Nutmeg
- 1 g (1/2 tsp) Ground Cloves
Weigh (or measure) all of the spices into a bowl.
Whisk well to combine, making sure that the spices are evenly blended.
Store in an airtight container, and give the blend a stir or shake it prior to each use.