Vegan powdered sugar is expensive to buy, but very easy and cheap to make at home. The store-bought ones cost from $3.20 to over $5.00 per pound, but it only costs $0.74 per pound to make your own with Zulka sugar! All you need is a blender, vegan sugar, and a starch (corn, tapioca, or arrowroot):
If you are new to veganism, and are wondering why anyone would bother buying or making special vegan sugar, I recommend this video on Is Sugar Vegan?
It is so easy to make powdered sugar! Put your blender jar on your scale and zero it:
Add 490 g of Zulka or other vegan sugar:
Add your choice of starch to bring the weight up to 500 g:
Place the blender jar into the base and put the lid on tightly:
Blend on high speed for about three minutes or until finely powdered. The blades will heat up the sugar, so only blend for 20 second intervals. You may also need to stop and stir it a few times:
You have lovely vegan powdered sugar!
Store in an airtight container:
- My price is based on getting 8 lbs of Zulka sugar for $5.00 and 20 oz of tapioca starch for $3.80. Your cost may differ a bit, depending on your ingredient prices.
- You really do have to use a blender to make powdered sugar. Most food processors just don’t get the sugar ground finely enough.
- Homemade powdered sugar is a little more dense than store-bought, which is not an issue if you are weighing it (use 120 g per cup in your recipe). If you are measuring it, I would use 7/8 cup for every cup in the recipe.
- You can also make vegan brown sugar!
How to Make Vegan Powdered Sugar
Make your own vegan powdered sugar cheaply and easily at home!
- 490 g (2 1/2 c) Vegan Sugar
- 10 g (4 tsp) Corn, Tapioca, or Arrowroot Starch
Add the sugar and starch to your blender.
Make sure the lid is on tightly, and blend on high speed for three minutes at 20-second intervals. (The blades will get too hot if you blend continuously.) Stop to stir and scrape down the sides as needed. The sugar should be a powder and not at all gritty. Continue blending for 20 seconds at a time until it is a powder.
Store in an airtight container.