I love making my own spice blends, because I can customize them to have the exact flavor profile that I like best. My apple pie spice blend is made with just the right amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, and allspice. It makes perfect apple pies, of course, but is also lovely in any apple recipe, with sweet potatoes, in oatmeal, and in almost any recipe that you would use cinnamon by itself.
To make your own Apple Pie Spice, weigh (or measure) your spices into a mixing bowl:
Then whisk together until evenly blended:
Transfer your apple pie spice blend to a clean jar that has a tight-fitting lid:
Store tightly covered at room temperature. I made a quadruple batch, because I use this blend a lot:
I will be sharing my Apple Cobbler recipe soon, so here is a photo to get you motivated to go make this spice blend!
Apple Pie Spice
This Apple Pie Spice has just the right amounts of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, and allspice. Use it to make apple pie and other apple desserts, with sweet potatoes, on oatmeal, or in any dish where you would use cinnamon by itself!
- 42 g (1/3 c) Ground Cinnamon
- 3.0 g (1 1/4 tsp) Ground Nutmeg
- 2.5 g (1 1/4 tsp) Ground Cardamom
- 2.0 g (1 1/4 tsp) Ground Ginger
- 0.5 g (1/4 tsp) Ground Allspice
Weight or measure all of the spices into a mixing bowl, then whisk well to combine.
Transfer the Apple Pie Spice blend to a container with a tight-fitting lid, and store at room temperature.
- This recipe makes 20 tsp, or 6 TBS + 2 tsp. The photos in the blog post show a quadruple batch, which is 1 2/3 cups.
- Each tsp of the Apple Pie Spice weighs 2.5 g and each TBS weighs 7.5 g.